Encona Roasted Turkey with African Peri Peri Glaze
Cooking Time: 2 hours 0 mins Prep time: 25 mins
For the Turkey:
- 120g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp minced shallots
- 2 tbsp minced garlic cloves
- 1 (7.5kg) turkey
- Salt & pepper to season
- Stuffing, if desired
For the Glaze
- Encona African Peri Peri Sauce
- 45g butter
- 120ml maple syrup
- 185ml cranberry juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 185ml apple cider
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1) To make the glaze: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow to simmer for about 8-10 minutes, until it thickens slightly.
2) Add Encona African Piri Piri (to taste) and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, before basting over the Turkey.
3) To make the turkey: Preheat oven to 190C/Gas 5.
4) In a small mixing bowl, combine the butter, parsley, shallots and garlic.
5) Thoroughly rinse and dry the turkey. Tuck the wings underneath the body and place the turkey in a roasting pan. Rub the butter mixture all over the turkey. Stuff, if desired.
6) Roast for 18 minutes per 450g (including stuffing weight, if using). To check if the turkey is cooked, pierce the flesh of the thickest part of the thigh with a small sharp knife; when the juices run clear, the turkey is cooked.
7) 15 mins before Turkey is due to be finished baste over some of the glaze. Repeat this process every 5 mins until Turkey is cooked. (Reserve some glaze for serving if you wish).
8) Remove turkey from the oven and loosely tent with foil. Let rest for 20 minutes before carving.
9) Serve Turkey with additional glaze if required. Can be served with roasted sweet potatoes & Callaloo. Glaze can be made in advance and warmed through before basting.