Mushroom and Stilton Rarebit with Sweet Chilli by Danny Kingston
Cooking Time: 20 mins Prep time: 5 mins
Mushroom and Stilton Topping
40g of butter
100g of chestnut mushrooms, sliced
200g of Stilton, crumbled
1 tsp English mustard
20g of plain flour
2 tbsp of ale, or beer
freshly ground black pepper
4 slices of white bread, thick cut
50g of Parmesan, grated
2 handfuls of watercress
Encona Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce, to drizzle
1) To begin, place a frying pan over a medium heat and add half the butter. When foaming add the sliced mushrooms and cook down for a few minutes until soft and browned.
2) Place the crumbled Stilton, mustard, flour and a few twists of pepper in a pan with the remaining butter. Place over a gentle heat and stir together.
3) The mixture will start off quite dry, so add the beer to help the mixture soften and come together as a paste – be careful not to cook for too long as the cheese may start to separate.
4) Stir through the mushrooms then remove from the heat and set aside.
5) Preheat a grill to high. Toast the bread slices fully on one side then turn over and lightly brown the other side.
6) Generously spread the mushroom and Stilton topping over this side then sprinkle over the Parmesan. Place back under the grill for a couple of minutes, until the cheese starts to brown and bubble.
7) Serve with a handful of peppery watercress and a generous drizzle of Encona Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce.